[mythtv-users] Gee, I THOUGHT I was a linux fan.

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Mon Aug 15 15:20:43 UTC 2005

Phil Bridges wrote:

>Comments in-line.
>
>On 8/15/05, Richard Bronosky <mythtv at bronosky.com> wrote:
>

>>2.  I now have my network working.  (I know because I used a text based
>>browser to hit Yahoo.com.)  But, I cannot get the DataDirect "Retrieve
>>Listings" button to do anything.  (I get a new box to popup with no text
>>and a half complete progress bar.  A second later it is gone.)  Yes, I
>>did setup an account on labs.Zap2It.com, and add "Comcast-Dallas (for
>>30134)" (BTW, that's Georgia) to my "Current lineups".  What am I doing
>>wrong here?  Is there a log file somewhere I can check?
>>

>I *believe* that this is the part of the Myth-setup that takes a while
>to run.  See: http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html
>
>"Once you have chosen your provider, press RETURN to continue. XMLTV
>will now begin collecting the initial data for your location. The
>screen may blank for a few seconds to several minutes, depending on
>the load of the listings provider and the speed of your connection to
>the Internet. Be patient!"

Yeah, that is the part, but instead of it taking a few minutes it tries
for 1 second and quits.  When it's done, there is still nothing in the
listings (or lineups, I forget the exact term) drop down.  If there is
only one listing in my Zap2It account it should still show up right?

>>3.  I did setup my PVR-500 as 2 cards, /dev/video0 tuner0 & /dev/video1
>>tuner0, and associate my "Comcast Cable" source to each.  But when I go
>>to Watch Live TV, I get a black screen.  I know I'm not locked up
>>because I can Crtl+Alt+F1-F6 to get to other tty's.  But to get that
>>session (tty7) back I must reboot.  What am I doing wrong here?  Is
>>there a log I can check?
>>

>The general mythbackend log file is /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.
>
>I'd bet, though, that the issue is that you don't have channels
>loaded, so Myth doesn't know what to tune.  See #2 above.

I'll try manually adding a channel to my lineup, and retesting.  How do
I exit live TV from a black screen?

>>4. I tried watching a DVD from my NEC 16xDL-DVD-RW but the Xine screen
>>flashes for a second and then I'm back to the MythTV GUI.  I tried
>>ripping a DVD but it keeps telling me there are no jobs.  What am I
>>doing wrong here?  Is there a log I can check?
>>

>It is possible that Xine is in the background.  Have you tried showing
>the DVD from a CLI instance of xine?
>
>Is mtd running?  (http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-19.html)

I had never heard of Xine before MythTV.  I'll read up on it and try to
test it individually.

>>Feel free to to kick, troll, and insult me, but please offer assistance too.
>>

>Keep these to links handy:
>
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/ (Searchable
>archive of mailing list)
>http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php (Jarod's thorough
>walk-through of installing MythTV on a Fedora system)

Yep, I know Gossamer very well.  I research for 3 weeks before choosing
to buy a completely new system to dedicate to MythTV.  But, the
wilsonet.com thing I have bookmarked for when I decide to adventure into
the remote control world, but since I'm using KnoppMyth I had wrote him
off.  I'll re-evaluate.

Thanks for everything so far.  Please stick with me and keep offering
your expertise.  Once I get my box working, I will be converting many
others.  I work for Yahoo and when I mentioned on one of our internal
forums that I was building a MythTV box, about 80 people asked me tell
take good notes and tell them exactly what to buy and how to install.

	Thank you for your time,
	--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.