[mythtv-users] Best use for PVR 350/150

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 14 02:59:52 UTC 2005

It depends on the order in which you have specified
the recording devices.

The ivtv driver detects devices (at least on every
board I've used the PVR-x50 cards in) from the AGP
slot, towards the outer edge.  So, my PVR-500, which
is closest to the AGP slot gets /dev/video0 and
/dev/video1, and my PVR-250 gets /dev/video2.

Then, you can specify the order of the capture devices
in mythfrontend.  I just put them in numerical order
(0, 1, 2), because the capture quality is the same for
the three capture cards (I say three, because a
PVR-500 is, for the purposes of the ivtv driver, two
PVR-150 cards).

Also, to further complicate matters, there is an
option in the settings, titled, "Avoid conflicts
between live TV and scheduled shows".  On my system,
this picks the last tuner (2) for LiveTV, so that the
other two (0 and 1) are available for recordings.

Have I lost you yet?  No?  Good.

If you want the PVR-350 to be used for recording at
all times, then you want to find out which video
device it is (i.e. /dev/video0 or video1), and put
that in the list as your first (preferred) capture
card.  Then, uncheck, "Avoid conflicts between live TV
and scheduled shows".  This should use your PVR-350
will always be used as the first recording tuner,
assuming the same channel lineup between the two cards
(yet another source of confusion).  It also means that
you'll be asked if you want to record something if
you're watching LiveTV at the same time (which is why
I'm glad the aforementioned option is present).

Also, you should uncheck "Enable OpenGL Vsync".  It
doesn't work on PVR-350 cards, only nVidia cards.  The
PVR-350 has it's own vertical syncing method.

-- Joe