[mythtv-users] TV-Out problems on PVR-350

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 00:01:24 UTC 2005

On 8/14/05, Azmat <azmat.hussain at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First, my hardware configuration:
> AMD Athlon XP 2400+
> Asus A7N8X-VM Motherboard
> 512 MB Micron RAM
> Hauppage PVR-350
> Maxtor 6Y200L0
> Sony DVD-RW DW-U14A
> Fedora Core 3 (kernel 2.6.11-1.35_FC3)
>
> Now, the problem:
> I'm following Jarod's MythTV guide and am on section 10 (Get and
> install capture card driver).  I'm trying to use my PVR-350's TV-out
> for my display. I followed the instructions for installing ivtv and
> made the required modifications to my modprobe.conf.  After executing
>
> # /sbin/depmod -a
> # /sbin/modprobe ivtv
>
> My TV output shows a series of lines across the screen at this point,
> with no discernable image.  I have a photo of this screen available
> that I can send if anyone is interested.
>
> "/sbin/modprobe saa7127 test_image=1" has no effect and
> "/usr/bin/ivtvfbctl /dev/fb0 -noglobalalpha -localalpha" results in
> this error:
> IVTVFB_IOCTL_GET_STATE failed (error: Invalid argument)

Why are you using /dev/fb0? The output below tells you the ivtv
framebuffer device is on /dev/fb1. Try again and see if this gets rids
of the error. Then try the saa7127 tests.

It may also be a good idea to run in text mode (run level 3) until you
start to get the X server running on the PVR350. You may find you end
with the FB now on /dev/fb0 if your current video drivers are not
loaded in the future. If so, be sure to adjust the xorg.conf file to
reflect this.

> Here is some additional info:
> # /bin/dmesg | grep Initialized
> ivtv: Initialized WinTV PVR 350, card #0
>
> # cat /var/log/messages |grep "iTVC15 TV out"
> Aug 13 13:57:11 giz kernel: ivtv-osd: fb1: iTVC15 TV out frame buffer device

<snipped>

> I haven't made any changes to my xorg.conf yet because I wanted to
> make sure I wasn't going down a bad path before doing anything else.
> Based on what Jarod's guide says, it looks like things are already
> going bad on my end.  I appreciate the advice.  Thanks again.

Assuming things work, you need to make sure you specify the correct
BusID 1:8:0 and correct FB device /deb/fb1 in your xorg.conf file
after having installed the X driver.

HTH,
Nick