[mythtv-users] Cases for a PVR box... recommendations.

Jim Reith reith at racores.com
Sat Aug 13 09:05:21 UTC 2005

>  >> # allow the disks to spindown after 5 minutes of idle
>>>    /sbin/hdparm -S 60 /dev/hda
>>>    /sbin/hdparm -S 60 /dev/hdb
>>>    /sbin/hdparm -S 60 /dev/hdd
>
>>I have SATA drives, so I can't do
>>this.  But thanks for the tip!
>

>? are you sure, I have S-ATA and doing a hdparm -S <some number> /dev/sda
>gives me a definite click as the drive spins down and starts up again (I
>haven't mounted the partitions noatime yet).
>
>I'd say it's worth giving it a try.

Simple enough. Go to a shell and try

/sbin/hdparm -y <your drive device here>

That will put your drive in powersave mode immediately (if possible) then

/sbin/hdparm -C <your drive device here>

and it will show you the current status like mine shows

# /sbin/hdparm -C /dev/hdd

/dev/hdd:
  drive state is:  standby