[mythtv-users] PVR 350, mplayer, and black screen... sometimes

Jesse D. Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Sat Aug 13 07:43:15 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 02:28 -0400, Jesse D. Guardiani wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I decided to ditch xine and go with mplayer because
> xine was dying with an audio message at the beginning
> of the "Hitch" DVD. mplayer plays much smoother (I've
> got a tiny CPU), has a more friendly volume control,
> and actually manages to play widescreen DVDs as
> widescreen for some reason (xine makes everything
> letterbox on my 4:3 screen).
>
> Downside is that mplayer doesn't support DVD menus,
> but I think I can live with that for now.
>
> The only real problem I have with mplayer is that
> sometimes it shows a black screen instead of the
> movie. Sound works, but no video.

More on this:

If I execute this via SSH while the black screen is
visible:
    ivtvfbctl -alpha 100
Then it goes away. I got this hint from the very
bottom of this page:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3609&sid=09c55348cf071bf496dadd92c706cd42

But the recommendation to reinstall the ivtvdev_drv.o
didn't work for me.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin