[mythtv-users] Channel Icons

Claude Boucher mythtv.user at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 22:09:08 UTC 2005

I always put the full path of my icons in the 'channel' table.

The default location for icons is the ~/.mythtv/channels/ directory.
The ~/.mythtv/ directory is also the place where you normally put your
customized menu files  (mainmenu.xml, etc.) and the default location for
stuff like the  MythVideo posters.

It's all fine and dandy but with three MythTV boxes running in the house
(1 combined BE/FE in the living room and two part-time Myth FE in my
office and son's room) this fast became a hassle to manage. Since I had
shared the /mythtv directory for the home LAN, the logical next step was
to move these files to a subdirectory thereof.

/mythtv/recordings --> nuv recordings
/mythtv/video         --> my MythVideo DivX and XVid
/mythtv/music         --> my MP3/OGG files
/mythtv/images       --> my  digital stills collection
AND
/mythtv/settings      --> most settings shared by my combined BE/FE and
the two remote FE
/mythtv/settings/menus with symbolic links to ~/.mythtv/ for my
customized FE menus
/mythtv/settings/posters for my MythVideo posters
/mythtv/settings/channels for the channel icons

I then moved my old posters directory to /mythtv/settings/posters and
changed the URI for the posters in the mySQL database by issuing this
command:
UPDATE videometadata SET coverfile =
REPLACE(coverfile,'/home/mythtv/.mythtv','/mythtv/settings');

and I did the same for the channel icons:  move them out of the
~/.mythtv/channels to /mythtv/settings/channels, then change the URI for
the icons in mySQL:
UPDATE channel SET icon =
REPLACE(icon,'/home/mythtv/.mythtv','/mythtv/settings');

Just another point: I've seen on this thread a lot of talk about the
lyngsat logos in jpeg format.
For line art drawings, I usually prefer png while resizing them to a
square with the gimp or Photoshop. It looks better with the OSD I use
(VisorOSD).

Claude