[mythtv-users] Cases for a PVR box... recommendations.

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 21:25:33 UTC 2005

I'm actually a bit late on this thread, but what the
heck...

I'm using a SilverStone LC-10 case, as seen here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811163033

Unfortunately, it suffers from the problems that most
HTPC cases do:
1. It has dual 60mm exhaust fans (which are noisy, and
very difficult to find quiet replacements for)
2. The heat can build up.

In it, I have a DVD-ROM and four hard drives (one HD
is mounted in the second 5.25" slot, which isn't
available for external use).  This machine does double
duty as my MythTV machine (one 250GB drive) and my
file server (3x 250GB drives in a RAID-5 array).
Overall, the heat isn't that bad until the weather
gets really hot out (when it was 90+ in the Bay Area a
few weeks ago, it got to 100+ inside my apartment.
Then the case was quite warm).

I like the case because (except for the four front USB
ports and the side ports), it looks like something
you'd have in your home entertainment cabinet, not a
PC.  I decided that I didn't want a VFD.

I've managed to quiet it fairly well, although not
nearly as quiet as my old case, a desktop one with
dual 120mm fans.

-- Joe

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2005/06/22/myth_tv.html