[mythtv-users] Cases for a PVR box... recommendations.

Jo Shields directhex at apebox.org
Fri Aug 12 14:20:44 UTC 2005

Robert Johnston wrote:

>>I'm just putting together a box using the Silverstone LC11M as my case.
>>This box is intended to replace the 2 VCR's next to the TV so I wanted a
>>smallish and neat case.
>>This case is good looking 'restrained' and well made.
>>

>I've got MythTV box in the base LC11 case, and the case is virtually
>silent (I can't hear it unless I put my head right next to it).
>

>>I am using a Via Epia SP13000 motherboard and there is a 'gotcha' involved
>>there.
>>The case has 3 horizontal PCI slots in the back and will take full length
>>PCI cards BUT the included PCI riser card expects that the first slot will
>>be an AGP slot, and the PCI riser card will fit into the second slot of
>>the motherboard. Of course a mini-itx board has no second slot! and no AGP
>>slot. The answer is that you will need a PCI extension ( $8.00 at Logic
>>Supply in Waterbury Vermont: great service from them BTW!), to go between
>>a PCI riser card in a mini-ITX board PCI slot and your cards, so that then
>>your cards will line up with the back of the case. Second gotcha is that
>>there does not appear to be a 3 slot PCI riser card made anywhere...so you
>>will be limited to using 2 PCI cards. The third slot is limited to AGP use
>>only (and then only if you have a board with an AGP slot.). Since I am
>>intending to use the on board video of the EPIA MB, 2 slots are sufficient
>>for my Hauppauge PVR500 and a pcHDTV card.
>>

>I'm using an ASRock mATX board, which has 1xAGP and 3xPCI (Only 2 of
>which can be used in this case). It is more than adequate to run 1xAGP
>NVidia 5200 and 2xPVR250's, along with 2x250Gb WD HDD's, and the whole
>system is silent. The most annoying part of the whole case is the
>ULTRA-BRIGHT-OMGMYEYES Blue LED's on the front. :)

Personally, I would STRONGLY disrecommend the Silverstone LC11:

* The hard disk bays don't have room for SATA disks, due to the front
fan getting in the way of the SATA power cables
* There's a big metal rivet at the back, which prevents you from
plugging a VGA cable into an AGP graphics card
* The AGP/PCI riser module _REALLY_ doesn't work, I had massive problems
with video corruption and cards not being recognised at boot
* The integrated motherboard risers are too large, and cause shorting
unless you screw the board in tightly at EXACTLY the right angle

I bought a slightly larger Coolermaster Cavalier4, and fixed all my
issues in one go (without adding any noise).

My board is an AOpen i855GMEm-LFS, a mATX board which takes Pentium-M
CPUs. I've got an AGP GeForce 5200 and two Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T DVB-T
cards.

--Jo Shields