[mythtv-users] Can't get dvb-bt8xx to load front end at boot

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Fri Aug 12 14:00:11 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 04:03:36PM +1000, David Maher wrote:
> Thanks, Hamish, the problem is now solved, (see earlier posts). However
> I believe your solution would work too, in FC4 the file in which you put
> things that you don't want to load at boot is called "blacklist"
> ie: /etc/hotplug/blacklist

The real problem is that the vender ID for the blackbird
chip and the pchdtv hd3000 both have the same mask used in
/lib/modules/KERNEL/modules.pcimap.  If the dvb-blackbird is
listed first in that file, when the pchdtv hd-3000 is seen the
dvb-blackbird driver tries to be loaded instead of the dvb_cx88
driver for pchdtv card.  The same problem exists for the HD-2000
DVB driver in that the bt878 module can get loaded instead.

The incorrect modules.pcimap is created when running depmod because
maintainers for the blackbird and bt878 audio drivers used 0xffffffff
for both the vender and model information.  I believe the pchdtv vender
id is 0x00007306 (Or was it 0x00007603 or 7063? hmm...) and the model is
0x00003000 for the hd3000 and 0x00002000 for the hd2000.  I'm not sure
what the blackbird and bt878 id's are as I don't have the cards.

I've made a couple calls and I know the problem will be fixed with the
next suse 10.0 beta2 and was told these would be pushed upward in the
kernel tree, so hopefully by 2.6.13 rc7 or 2.6.14 rc's it will be fixed.
If you're using FC, it will be FC5 or FC6 when the changes take place
hopefully.

--Brandon