[mythtv-users] Working around a slow network link

Dave Tarkowski dtarkows at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 17:03:10 UTC 2005

I've got a combined frontend/backend machine that is working great
right now.  It is connected to my network via 802.11b, which is fine
because the only things that it really needs the network for are the
guide updates and weather information.

The problem is that it is a small form factor PC and I would like to
start using another tuner.  This requires using another machine as a
slave backend and the 802.11b link isn't fast enough to stream data
back to the master backend.

What I would like to do is to record on the slave backend and then
copy the file over to the master backend after the recording has
ended.  Is seems like I could use the master backend override switch
as long as I record to the same directory on each machine.  Assuming
that I don't care about using the second tuner "live" will this be a
problem?  Has anybody done anything like this?

Thanks,
Dave