[mythtv-users] Max number of recordings - unexpected episode deletions

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 10 16:55:31 UTC 2005

On Monday 08 August 2005 16:14, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 02:01:34PM -0400, Pat Vaughan wrote:
> >   When I change the episode limit,
> > Myth should apply that to ALL the recordings.  If you want more,
> > than make
> > it unlimited, and let Myth manage it by free disk space instead of
> > number
> > of recordings.
> >
> > Though, there should be an option to say "don't delete this".  Tivo
> > has
> > similar functionality and I've used it on several occasions.
>
> There *is* such an option.  Go to the "watch recordings" menu and
> navigate to the episode you want to keep.  Activate the pop-up menu
> and
> select "don't auto expire".  That flag applies only the the selected
> episode without changing your preference for the recording rule so
> later
> episodes will be expired normally.

Okay, I'm not at home so I can't check this, but I *thought* an option
went in recently to "Preserve this episode" under Watch
Recordings->MENU.  IIRC, 'Do not auto-expire' does not affect shows
that would be deleted due to a max episode limit.

Ok, just looked in the source code... from the source:
"A preserved episode is ignored in calculations for deleting episodes
above the limit.  Auto-expiration is used to remove eligable programs
when disk space is low."

The "Preserve this episode" button only shows up if the recording rule
used for the show had a max episode setting.

That feature went in on 24 Dec 2004, and was included in the 0.17
release.

-JAC