[mythtv-users] Re: mythmusic shuts down mythfrontend

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 10 14:27:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 11:44:58PM -0500, Neil wrote:
> I found the cause of mythfrontend's shutting down. I deleted the
> value in visualmode in settings table. My mythfrontend doesn't crash
> anymore when playing mythmusic. I've tried running closing/opening
> mythmusic more than hundred times. This is ok for now!!! W00T!

If that is indeed what really fixed your system, then there is
probably a problem/bug in one of the visualizations. There is a UI for
choosing your visualizations in the mythfrontend GUI for mythmusic
(not much of a "UI"; you have to type in the visualization names).

If you want to track down your problem you ought to be able to choose
them one by one and see which one crashes your system.

> >Hmmm I find if I put the visualizer into random mode and make it
> >full screen it will crash to desktop or even lock the system (kill
> >process another terminal to recover does work) repeatable after
> >10-15 minutes. Myth music also seems to crash out at a somewhat
> >random rate (can be fine for hours ore minutes and then boom). I
> >haven't found a pattern accept for as it related to the visualizer
> >running full screen.This is with 18.0. Though lately I have been
> >using MCE for music since it can play back pictures and has the
> >nice intro and close captions, not an alternative for everyone
> >though.

> >>If I don't have any files selected to play and try to navigate in
> >>MythMusic, the frontend crashes and dumps me to the desktop. As
> >>soon as I have a file or directory selected beforehand, music
> >>plays normally.

--Rob