[mythtv-users] Max number of recordings - unexpected episode deletions

Timothy G. Schaefer tim_lists at comcast.net
Tue Aug 9 10:56:47 UTC 2005

At 04:14 PM 8/8/2005, you wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 02:01:34PM -0400, Pat Vaughan wrote:
> >   When I change the episode limit,
> > Myth should apply that to ALL the recordings.  If you want more, than make
> > it unlimited, and let Myth manage it by free disk space instead of number
> > of recordings.
> >
> > Though, there should be an option to say "don't delete this".  Tivo has
> > similar functionality and I've used it on several occasions.
>
>There *is* such an option.  Go to the "watch recordings" menu and
>navigate to the episode you want to keep.  Activate the pop-up menu and
>select "don't auto expire".  That flag applies only the the selected
>episode without changing your preference for the recording rule so later
>episodes will be expired normally.

I'll give that a try. The first observation about lowering the max number
of recordings and then Myth deleting to match that number isn't that big of
a deal, I can work around that. Before I realized it would do that, I was
going through lowering all of max number of episodes since my drive was
filling up fast and I realized I didn't need to keep 10 Seinfelds, 10 fear
factors, 10 Mythbusters, etc... on the drive. Then it wiped them out
leaving them marked as "seen" so it wouldn't record them again even though
I didn't watch them.

The real issue is with it set to "stop recording when at max recordings" it
would occasionally record back to back episodes, go over the limit, then
delete to get back within the limit. With it leaving them in the database
as seen, it's going to make my goal of seeing all 600 episodes of cops hard
(jk!). That tells me there's a race condition to Myth realizing it's
recorded up to its limit and starting a new recording.

Hrmph! Still beats live TV though!