[mythtv-users] PVR 350, closed captioning, commercial detection

Daniel Segel mythtv at archer-segel.com
Mon Aug 8 15:10:02 UTC 2005

Jesse D. Guardiani wrote:

>Hello,
>
>It took me literally a week of my off time, but I've finally got
>most of the components of mythtv running to my satisfaction:
>Home made IR Blaster, PVR 350, 250G disk array over NFS, updated
>knoppmyth ivtv drivers to 0.3.7b so I can watch DVDs on the 350's
>TV out, etc...
>
>LiveTV and playback are working great, but commercial detection
>and closed captioning don't work at all.
>
>Anyone encountered this before? Is it an ivtv driver issue, or
>a mythtv issue?
>
>Thanks!

CC sort of works with the PVR-350, but you have to use the ivtv driver
form of it, not the CC functions within MythTV. This means you control
CC using your TV's CC decoder, just like if your were watching a normal
broadcast. You can enable it by setting the CC options for the ivtv
driver in your modules.conf (or wherever is appropriate for your
distro). I do it like this in /etc/modules.d/ivtv on my Gentoo system:

post-install ivtv /usr/local/bin/ivtvctl -p 6 -l 2 -x 1 -w wss,cc -b wss,cc

I say "sort of works" because it has a bug that renders it nearly
unusable - it only works if you start playback from the very beginning
of the recording, and it stops if you skip either direction or FF or
REW. Basically any motion in the recording other than simply watching it
straight through will turn off the CC decoding. This includes commercial
skipping.

It's being discussed off and on on the ivtv-dev list, and will hopefully
be fixed soon, but then again it may not be.

Daniel