[mythtv-users] New Linux User Attempt...

shadestalker at gmail.com shadestalker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 00:29:30 UTC 2005

On 8/4/05, Viet My <samiel at samiel.com> wrote:

> * Permissions - I'm not sure (being new to Linux) what user to install
> what parts under.  As it is, everything is installed under Root!  This is
> bad.

Nice to see another sarge / myth user. :)

Have a look at http://dijkstra.csh.rit.edu/~mdz/debian/dists/unstable/mythtv/
.  These packages are nicely done, though you may need to build some
from source to get them to install on sarge due to some dependencies
on unstable.  They'll take care of creating a mythtv user for you and
starting up mythbackend at boot as that user, etc.  Then you just need
to setup mythfrontend running as mythtv and you should be mostly done.

I'm sorry I don't have any experience controlling an external tuner /
box, but I'm sure someone on the list is familiar with the problems
you're seeing.

HTH!