[mythtv-users] nvidia-settings w/geforce4 ti4200

shadestalker at gmail.com shadestalker at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 16:47:26 UTC 2005

Possibly OT (if there's an nvidia-settings list I haven't found it yet).

I have mythtv working on a debian sarge install.  Until recently I was
happily using the PVR-350 TV out, but I recently freed up a geforce 4
ti4200 and want to use its TV out for the ability to play transcoded
videos without frame dropping, etc.

After finding Jarod's recommendation for nvidia-settings to be used
against newer nvidia drivers, I tried it.  So far I am only able to
turn overscan fully on (too much) or fully off (obviously not
desirable for watching TV) using the slider.  I've tried adding and
removing the TVOverScan directive from XF86Config-4, commenting out
the refresh rates for the TV, etc.

nvidia-settings reports my TV chip as a Brooktree 871.  I hope that's
not the problem, I don't have another recent geforce lying around to
work with.

Here are some relevant bits from my system:

ii  nvidia-glx     1.0.7174-3     NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
ii  nvidia-kernel- 1.0.7174-3+2.6 NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.8-
ii  nvidia-kernel- 1.0.7174-1     NVIDIA binary kernel module common files
ii  nvidia-kernel- 1.0.7174-3     NVIDIA binary kernel module source
ii  nvidia-setting 1.0+3-1        Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driv
ii  kernel-image-2 2.6.8-16       Linux kernel image for version 2.6.8 on 386.

>From XF86Config-4:

Section "Module"
#       Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
#       Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "speedo"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "NVIDIA Corporation NV10DDR [GeForce 256 DDR]"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
        Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
        Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
        # Option "TVOverScan" "0.6"
        Option "NoLogo" "1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "TV"
        # HorizSync     30.0 - 50.0
        # VertRefresh   60
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "NVIDIA Corporation NV10DDR [GeForce 256 DDR]"
        Monitor         "TV"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           1