[mythtv-users] new stuff to understand

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Aug 7 15:24:24 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 05:53, Craig Tinson wrote:

> I never got my head around "transcoding" as I figured I never needed to
> with the old card. now I'm recording with the 250 I figured I'd better
> know more about this transcoding thing.
>
> what is it? why does it matter? how will it affect how I use my mythbox?
> is there settings I need to know about? am I right in thinking it's more
> of an issue now I'm on a 250?

For the last 6 months I have been running a mythtv system using a
PVR-350 and a PVR-250.  Have been using the decoder on the PVR-350 for
the output to the TV.  As such I have not used any transcoding.  I found
that if I transcode a show I can get the picture to play back but no
audio.   I suspect this because the transcoded show is using the on
board audio output which I do not have connected.

I really like the output of the PVR-350, it is indistinguishable from
the broadcast signal provided by the cable company.

As to using transcoding, I think it depends on how you have your system
setup.  Would be interested in other views on this subject.