[mythtv-users] Mythtv backend not starting

Jo Shields directhex at apebox.org
Sat Aug 6 11:09:44 UTC 2005

Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Nathaniel Homier wrote:
>
>> Hi, my name is Nate Homier and I am having trouble getting the Mythtv
>> backend to start. I installed it via the Debian apt-get as decscribed
>> at mythtv using the precompiled Debian package. Everything works
>> great except can't start backend. I don't know what the error message
>> means or how to deal with it. Any help would be great. Thank you.
>>
>> Debian 3.1r0
>> pcHDTV 3000
>> Intel 865PERL
>> Geforce 6600GT with Nvidia binary
>> Audigy 2 ZS
>>
>> error message is below: Note I did this as root.
>>
>> debian:/home/usr# /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
>> Starting MythTV server: mythbackendSession management error:
>> Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
>> specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
>

> Try posting the relevant portion of the mythbackend.log from
> /var/log/mythtv or just run the mythbackend executable in a terminal
> window.  I've never seen that kind of message from a mythtv backend so
> it makes me wonder what is throwing the error, Debian or Myth.
>
> Kevin

It's Debian. I've had that problem every time I've tried Myth on Debian.

Here's a test: SSH in from a different machine, and try to start
mythbackend. That one used to work for me, for whatever reason.

My solution to the problem (NO promises!) was to edit /etc/hosts, and
remove "localhost.localdomain" - the BindAddress specified by MySQL
seems to RDNS to localhost.localdomain, so authentication fails (because
you try to connect to localhost, but only localhost.localdomain is
allowed). It fixed it for me, ugly as it may be.

--Jo Shields