[mythtv-users] Operating System of choice ?

mythtv at sci.fi mythtv at sci.fi
Fri Aug 5 21:53:32 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'm new to MythTV, haven't used it ever, but it seems to be exactly what
I'm looking for, and I've done some research on it for the past week or
so. The idea is to buy a server to serve as a backend and a "desktop" to
be the frontend, of course these will be quite similar actually. So this
is the background from where I'm coming.

The question is, why are so many using Fedora Core as the platform for
MythTV, at least what I've read the archives of this mailing list, quite
many are using Fedora Core, so is there a reason for that ? Also has
anybody used MythTV on OpenBSD ? I'm a big fan of OpenBSD, for it's
stability as well as it's security. So if there's no big/real drawbacks
I would prefer OpenBSD for both the back- and frontend, although I have
an itch that Fedora Core would be "better" suited for the job. Also does
anybody know if there's any gain from using 64-bit CPU ?

Thanks all, you'll probably see a lot more questions from me, since I
decided to do this "right", and ask questions first and shoot then ;-)