[mythtv-users] CD Copy protection?

Jim Reith reith at racores.com
Fri Aug 5 16:25:11 UTC 2005

At 11:43 AM 8/5/2005, you wrote:
>Jim Reith wrote:

>>>There are two issues:  1) technical, 2) philosophical (the priciple of the
>>>idea).
>>

>>i don't see a philosophical issue if you own the CD and are ripping it for
>>personal use. If they infringe on your personal use, that's a problem.
>>
>>And I find the technical description of only allowing it to be ripped a
>>fixed number of times silly. If it's a read only media, how  can they
>>enforce that. Just go to another untainted machine (I'm assuming the rip
>>count is a cookie somewhere)
>
>There isn't valid red-book CD Audio on the disc. What is stored there may
>or may not work with standards-compliant CD players, though generally not
>anything that moves such as a car or, portable player.

Since I primarily listen to CDs in my car for my hour+ commute, that's a
deal breaker for me and back it goes

>The rip restrictions rely on a unique ID written to some sectors of the
>disc. When you try to rip with Windows Media Player (other rippers are
>liable to choke on the non-CD data), your ID is verified against a
>database, to see whether you have permission to rip. If not, tough luck.
>If so, you rip to protected WMA files which include your ID number, and
>perform lookups against Microsoft's databases per-play.
>
>Results: If your computer's ID number changes (e.g. you reformat Windows),
>all your music is rendered useless, unless the per-disc restrictions allow
>you to re-acquire a license to your files. If your disk crashes, you need
>to re-rip your music, ticking down your counter.

So I'd have to buy a windows machine to enjoy it? fat chance

>Again, in many cases (especially with Linux, or by employing a felt-tipped
>pen) you can bypass the copy protection mechanisms. Should you need to?
>Should you encourage their use by buying the technology and calling it good?

Nope. but then I guess I'm not part of that 90% windows users in the
database. And I DO make throw away copies of CDs I buy before leaving them
(the throw aways) to bake in my car. Likewise I have a friend with small
children that does the same things with DVDs his kids watch so he can
always remaster one that has been abused by small hands.