[mythtv-users] Some Suggestions for MythTV

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 12:12:13 UTC 2005

On 8/5/05, Brandon Rogers <blrogers at ieee.org> wrote:

(lots of stuff)

> Anyway, my plans for my Myth box is still to keep Myth running but set it up
> as a standard computer that runs the Myth backend so that video can record,
> but if I want to watch Live TV it will have to be on the monitor not my 32"
> HDTV.  If I want to watch a recorded video, I can watch it on the monitor,
> or I can copy the recording to a USB 2.0 external harddrive (2.5"), plug it
> in to my laptop, connect my laptop to the HDTV and be ready to watch.  So,
> while I am not decommissioning my Myth box, I am changing it's place in the
> house… away from the entertainment center and into the office.

Another option is to use a wireless link to get the TV out from your
PC in the office to the TV. I use a cheap Marmatec system (~60 Euros)
which also sends the IR signals back to the PC, and it works well,
with a couple of exceptions - Wifi networks interfere with it, mine
*and* my neighbours (I'm in an apartment block), microwave ovens
interfere even more. For me it is just a temporary solution until I
get round to building a quiet front end. It's not perfect, but far
more user friendly than what you outline above.

Chris