[mythtv-users] Location of recordings for multiple backends

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 4 17:13:52 UTC 2005

Moasat wrote:

>I have a master backend and one slave backend.  The slave is diskless (don't
>know why, just seemed like a good iea at the time).  Its nfs share actually
>exists on the master backend.
>
>This may seem like a dumb question but I'm not sure of the best way this
>should be handled because I'm not sure how backends actually talk to each
>other or how the front ends talk to slave backends (if at all).
>
>The master has a separate volume mounted on /video.
>
>If the master has its recordings stored in /video/recordings (and ring
>buffers in /video/buffers), then should the slave also map /video/recordings
>and store its recordings there?  Because when I do this, the slave complains
>about an existing nfslockfile.lock that it can't remove.

I know that a lot of people are doing exactly what you are with NFS
without the problems you're experiencing (
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-22.html#ss22.10 ).

Do you have the same user (= same uid, username isn't important) running
the backend on both machines?  If not, it might be a problem with
permissions.  Or, if you're running the backend as root, it may be a
permissions problem caused by NFS's root_squash.

>Based on this, I assume I should have the slave store its recordings in a
>different location.

Not required.

>Now, the slave is not destined to be on all the time, but when something is
>recorded on the slave, the master won't be able to get to it unless the
>slave is actually on and running.  Is there a way to move the file into the
>recordings folder of the master and have the master recognize this fact?  Or
>is this automatic?  I'm really confused about how all of this should work
>and could use some direction.

To get this behavior, you have to use the NFS approach you tried above.

Mike