[mythtv-users] Understanding the ringbuffer file.

tufkal tufkal at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 07:39:38 UTC 2005

In my research into providing an easy way to stream live TV content from
a Myth box over a network I have come to a few conclusions.

-Using nuvexport and/or DSmyth (or just transcoding on the backend) it
is very easy to work with recorded programs.  There is alot of
documentation on this.  None of it is helpful when referring to LiveTV.

-Using DSmyth you can turn Windows Media Player into a dumb Myth
frontend, that shows a LiveTV stream, but requires a tuner input and
backend power, as it is a frontend connection.  It is not efficient to
have a tuner input and CPU cycles per user watching the same thing.

-If you have a MPEG2 encoding card (PVR-x50) the buffer file is a
standard MPEG2 file not RTJpeg in a Nuppel container and thus, this
entire process is ALOT more academic. (Confirm/Deny?)

-VLC seems to be the easiest answer with its ability to stream via
mms/http/rtsp whatever it is playing.  VLC is the principal tool used in
the hard to configure mythstream plugin.  The trick is to get VLC to
play the ringbuf1.nuv file.  First you have to get VLC to decode the
video properly, and then handle the buffer changes.  At this point,
anyone on the network could tune in and get a stream of whatever that
tuner card is watching (which is what I am aiming for).

Which leads to the next point.

-The ability to read the ringbuffer file after a channel change or when
the buffer reaches its size limit, is something I have not been able to
accomplish.  mythfrontend has no problem obviously, I guess I just do
not understand the buffer process.