[mythtv-users] Different audio recording levels across sources

Dan Wilga dwilga at mtholyoke.edu
Wed Aug 3 13:32:07 UTC 2005

At 12:49 AM -0400 8/3/05, Ian Trider wrote:
>Create two shell scripts;  they can even be one-liners; all they need
>to do is call the ivtvctl program, which you can use to set the volume
>[...]
>Have myth call these as the "channel change script"and hopefully it
>will adjust the audio levels each time you tune to a new channel (to a
>level appropriate for the source).
>
>Not sure how this will interact with Myth's internal volume setting though.

I'm already using a channel changing script for the Dish part, so
that wouldn't be a problem to try. But I think that if I tell Myth to
use a channel changing script for the cable channels, then I'll also
have to tune the channel in the script (because using a script
bypasses the internal channel changing.) Fortunately, it's just
another parameter to ivtvctl.

It remains to be seen, though, if the channel changing script is
called before Myth sets the volume or after. If Myth resets the
volume every time it changes channels, and does it after the script
is called, then I'm out of luck.

I'll try it in a day or two. Thanks for the idea.

Dan Wilga                                         dwilga at mtholyoke.edu
Web Administrator                             http://www.mtholyoke.edu
Mount Holyoke College                                Tel: 413-538-3027
South Hadley, MA  01075            "Who left the cake out in the rain?"