[mythtv-users] DirectTV external tuner help

Alex Van Deusen alex.vandeusen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 22:19:32 UTC 2005

Hello I am using Debian/Knoppmyth.  I tried the forums at mysettopbox
but no answer.

I have a Sony Bat55 directv box. It is connected via a serial cable to
my mythbackend. The ports are enabled in bios.

I downloaded the script from tarek "sony.pl". Then put it into
/usr/local/sony.pl. In mythtv-setup I set the command to reference
that location.

I tried to to have myth record and change channels but it did not work.

Checked setserial dev/ttyS0 and dev/ttyS1 from user but I got nothing.

So I did

chmod 755 /usr/local/sony.pl
chmod 777 /dev/ttyS0
chmod 777 /dev/ttyS1

rebooted backend

didnt work

I then logged in as root su, when I did setserial dev/ttyS0 it gave me
correct information and listed irq4, dev/ttyS1 is irq3

It seems like it is a problem with the user not having access, but I
dont know how to troubleshoot.

One note I am sharing IRQ's, I have 5 capture cards in the box, and
scsi, agp, etc..