[mythtv-users] Pundit mythtv

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Tue Aug 2 19:04:44 UTC 2005

Scot L. Harris wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 11:50, Chris Petersen wrote:
>>>One question I have is I would like to utilize a PVR-350 in the pundit
>>>system for output to the TV and as another tuner for recording.  I have
>>>been very pleased with the PVR-350 in the existing system.  I read that
>>>this will be a tight fit but appears that it should be workable.  Is
>>>there any other gotchas with setting a pundit up (or pundit-r) this
>>>way?  Since I plan on using the PVR-350 for output the onboard video
>>>won't be used much beyond the initial install.
>>Why would you want to do that?  The video-out on the pundit is great,
>>and even a mediocre celeron (if you're not spending the $$ for a full
>>p4) can handle displaying fullscreen mpeg2 (heck, my 2.4G p4 will play
>>720p at 800x600).  Mind you, this is the SiS pundit, not the pundit-R
>>(or S).  From what I understand, setting up the video out for a 350 is a
>>PITA, too (and you'll likely lose out on a number of the new openGL ui
>>changes in forthcoming mythtv versions)
>Well the first mythtv box I setup uses a PVR-350 for the output and
>works very well for me.  :)
>It would also give me another encoder channel to use, assuming I
>understand correctly that the backend system can use encoders on remote
>However I have started to consider using a epia board setup as a
>diskless frontend.  Would make it cost effective to setup one on each TV
>in the house.
>BTW: once the initrd has been modified to send X out the PVR-350 output
>can the video card be pulled from the system?  Or would that prevent the
>system from booting?
>mythtv-users mailing list
>mythtv-users at mythtv.org
I'm pretty sire that depends on your BIOS.  For what MoBo are you
asking?  If the MoBo has onboard video, which most do, you certainly can
boot without a video card.

But I've seen some really weird crap before.  I've got a system that
won't boot without a PS2 Keyboard plugged in.  (Even though I used a USB
keyboard, I also have to keep an old PS2 KB plugged in too.)  Isn't that
nuts?  Made a great SFF sandbox, but the physical foot quadrupled when
you add in the silly KB requirement.

Thank you for your time,
--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

*Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet
products. Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer &
Outlook/Outlook Express.*
Get Firefox! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=85> Get
Thunderbird! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=179>