[mythtv-users] A success story and a few questions.

tufkal tufkal at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 05:27:04 UTC 2005

  have played around with MythTV since 0.15 with mxied success trying
new things and learning how it all worked. I recently decided a myth box
in my living room would be a good addition, and I had a Pentium III
500mhz / 192MB RAM / 10GB HD sitting around to abuse. I am a user of
Mandriva (Mandrake) linux, so I installed the backend on my server and
added a BT878 card. Using Mandriva 2005 LE and thac's latest RPMs for
Myth, it was up and running in 2 minutes flat. Setup the frontend with
Mandriva 2005 as well, and everything just worked.

Now by everything I mean live tv, recordings, transcodes, video and
audio quality, and the basics. I will be fumbling throguh getting
MythGame, MythMusic, MythVideo, and a few other plugins setup in the
next week, but that is not what I am worried about.

There are a few things I want to accomplish that I am not sure the best
way to go about. First of all I have a large wireless network with my
neighbors and friends, that I would like to offer streaming TV to. Now I
dont have the hardware to run 5 tuner cards and give everyone frontend
software. And since there isnt any Windows frontend I know of besides
tapping in with DSmyth, I am looking for other options. I noticed that
someone with the DSMyth filters can open the ringbuf1.nuv file and see
the buffer, but once I change the channel or the file reaches its size
limit and starts overwriting itself, dsmyth cant handle it. What is the
best way to get a stream I can share on my network?

The other thing I am looking to do is add a second tuner card so I can
record a show while wathcing another live. I've adjusted the various
profile settings so that about 40% cpu usage is used per input, but the
problem I have run into is when I add the second card, lspci shows it,
and the necessary /proc entries show the kernel sees the card, but i
only have 1 /dev/video device present. Do i have to mknod it myself?

Thanks in advance for the help.