[mythtv-users] Experiences with XvMC

Donavan Stanley geckofiend at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 16:52:49 UTC 2005

On 8/1/05, Scott <catfather at donpoo.net> wrote:
> > You know, you *might* want to test with Myth instead of Xine since
> > neither of those issues apply to Myth.
>
> I'm assuming by 'Myth' you are referencing the Myth Internal video
> player?

Your stated goal was HDTV playback.  Given that you're most likely
going to be playing back HD content using Myth not xine then it stands
to reason you'd actually test using Myth.

> It may be possible that the Myth Internal video player with xvmc can
> provide better quality deinterlace and post processing than Xine +
> xv. Obviously a deeper understanding of how Myth works with xvmc and
> more objective tests are needed.

There is *no* post processing using XvMC.  Not with xine nor with
Myth.  It's decoded by the hardware and displayed (to put it simply),
things like kerneldeint, denoise3d and the like will not work with
XvMC.  Myth does support the use of bob under XvMC as well as a full
OSD which is why I suggested testing with Myth not xine.