[mythtv-users] Firewire success - SA 3250

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 23:20:11 UTC 2005

On 4/30/05, Michael Haan <michael.haan at gmail.com> wrote:

> c) I subscribe to HBO, but HBO doesn't seem to come over 1394.  Is
> that in accordance with the FCC, or does Comcast owe me that via 1394
> as well?

Legally I think it will depend on whether the 1394 client correctly
follows the 5C Digital Encryption specs. I suspect that the Linux-1394
stack has none of that. There could actually be a few reasons why it
might never be able to. One is that the signal path post encryption
removal is not supposed to be recordable, or at least not in an
unlimited manner unless HBO marks the material as copyable. I suspect
they don't and we don't and so nothing happens.

It might be interesting to see if anything is reported in dmesg or
elsewhere. I suspect it isn't but I don't have equipment to look at
that.

Cheers,
Mark