[mythtv-users] TV/out Connection - is 640x480 the max?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 30 03:43:36 UTC 2005

I don't seem to recall whether or not acceleration
worked on the TV-Out head on my G400, but I do seem to
recall that it had Xv support.  Three reasons why I
gave up on the G400, despite very good quality:
1. Making modelines was absolutely rediculous.  I'd
use fbset to get a good picture (after much
experimentation), and then make a modeline (I think
fbset will generate X modelines with a switch), but
the modelines never worked.
2. There was a bug with the X server (Xorg) that was
causing a solid blue screen.  It could be worked
around, but it was a pain.
3. I'm addicted to nVidia's OpenGL vsync - it, in
combination with Bob provides the best picture I have
seen (scrolling messages on the screen, like CNN,
ESPN, etc.) are perfectly smooth.

I had a GeForce 440MX with an NV18 chip - the quality
sucked.  I replaced it with a fanless 5200
(Xorg/nVidia driver says it's an NV34), and the
quality is noticably better.  I never had an NV17 to
compare.

-- Joe