[mythtv-users] TV/out Connection - is 640x480 the max?

Jonathan Watmough jonathan.watmough at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 02:26:29 UTC 2005

On 4/29/05, Joe Votour <joevph at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It depends on what your video card is capable of, as
> well as what the TV is capable of.
>
> The PVR-350, for instance, outputs only at 720x480 for
> NTSC (or 720x576 for PAL), which is the native
> resolution. At this resolution, there is no up or
> down sampling of the picture.
>
> Your video card is certainly more than capable of
> doing 640x480. You'll need to check your Xorg (or
> XFree86) logs to see if there are any errors. It's
> possible that the modelines aren't quite correct for
> your TV, and that you won't get anything better than
> 640x480 without some tweaking.
>
> Also, since I have an nVidia card, I'm not familiar
> with what the ATI drivers can do, but there might some
> driver options that you can use.
>
> -- Joe

David

I run TV out from an NVidia card to a regular TV and the desktop certainly
looks like crap, but the mythtv output should look OK. Is regular mythtv TV
viewable ?

What about playing DVDs ? If it looks like regular TV you are probably doing
ok.

I know you ATI owners hate this, but the nvidia-settings utility allows
about a 20-30% improvement in the appearance of TV out by tweaking a few
sliders. However, it would still suck to have a TV as a desktop.

As a sidenote, I thought that a ATI 9200 card with TV-out that my gf has on
a windows box actually looks better than the output from my NVidia card, but
the pain and failure to get it working with Linux was too much :-((((

Cheers
Jonathan