[mythtv-users] How to handle schedule pre-emptions?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Apr 29 23:21:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 06:26:58PM -0400, Dean Collins wrote:
> Brad, like I said earlier, - it's a lot of work for little effective
> gain and opens up a number of holes or potential areas for concern.
>
> I think we just need to accept that very infrequently shit happens and
> move along.

As I was saying, the more reliable the box gets, the more you depend on
it, and the more angry you get when it loses a show for you that you
wouldn't have lost if you had been watching live (the old way.)

I don't think e-mailed, signed zap2it style XML would open up any holes,
for those of us who have e-mail servers.

Listing problems are not actually infrequent.  From my own experience,
I expect others also encounter a few every month.   Doesn't seem like
much, but that's multiplied by every user.  If a system exists so that
the first user to discover a listing problem (on a popular show at least)
fixes it for everybody else, that's actually a pretty big win, since
the result, lost shows, is a bad one.

The suggestion of something fancier than e-mail mostly comes from the
fact that it could implement other useful things for the future.  A lot
of data really should be PUSHed (E-mail style) rather than polled
(mythfilldatabase, rss and web style).   When it's time for those apps
to flourish, they would make good use of such a system.  Starting with
e-mail might make sense for those of us who have an e-mail server on
our networks.