[mythtv-users] How to Cancel a running Job

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Apr 29 18:41:19 UTC 2005

> What is a safe or preferred way to cancel a running Job ?
>
> A mythcommflag job has been running for several hours

> I tried the sequence: Information Center->SystemStatus->
> Job Queue and then selected the running job and pressed ENTER.
> A menu popped up with Pause, Stop, No Change for choices.

If Stop didn't work, then maybe there is something wrong unless
it's an extremely long recording.  It is safe to kill the
mythcommflag process.   The JobQueue will think the program
ended and will say "Finished, 0 break(s) found" or something
similar, and will not restart the job.

> One at a time I selected each one, backed out and came back in
> to the Job Queue.  Each time, the Job remained "Running".

I haven't used this screen lately, but these options were
working last time I checked.  Maybe the program hung or got
into a loop.  Either way, killing mythcommflag is fine.

> mythcommflag has been performing very well on lots of shows
> prior to this odd case.  I'm running a CVS version of mythtv
> downloaded just a few days before 0.18 was released.

> Just deleting the show is an acceptable way to solve this,
> but if there's a less severe way to go, I'd prefer the less severe way.

Depends on whether you want to keep the show.  If the Stop
command from the JobQueue screen doesn't work, then deleting
the show might not work either since they both use the same
command to stop the job.  It could be that mythcommflag is
hung, so you're probably better off killing mythcommflag before
trying to delete the recording.

If you don't mind, I'd like to find out if the program hung
or what, so if you're willing to test something, can you kill
mythcommflag and then requeue the flagging job and see if it
hangs again?  If it does, I'd like to find out why it's hanging.
Easiest way is if you know how to use gdb, but if not then maybe
I could get a copy of that recording if the mythcommflag hang
is reproduceable on it.

--
Chris