[mythtv-users] Recomendations for Mpeg2 transcode settings?

Barry Jett bjett80 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 13:14:34 UTC 2005

> >  (snip)
>>
> > It makes sense to use vpass=1:turbo instead of vpass=1 in this case.
> >
> > In fact, I just do:
> >
> > for pass in 1:turbo 2 ; do
> >     mplayer command $pass:$options
> >     done
> >
> > To simplify and help editing it.
>
> are these options you enter in during Mythtv setup?  or are they
> cmd-line options for transcode?  or homegrown scripts?
> any other docs you could point me to?
> thanks

I use homegrown bash scripts outside of Myth. I'm sure these could be executed
from Myth as a user job, I just haven't got around to trying user job's yet.

If you aren't familiar with bash scripts, I would suggest any of the
bash tutorials
on the net to start.  You could, of course, run the commands from the command
line as well, but bash scripts save you alot of typing in the long run.

To be perfectly honest....I do most of my compressing from work....I just telnet
into my home machine and start the script for the specific show I want
to compress.
So I've gravitated to using bash shells on a telnet screen so I don't
have to display
what, over the internet, would be a very slow Myth GUI window  (because of the
connection speed....not Myth).