[mythtv-users] Switch from NVIDIA via apt to NVIDIA .run installer

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Apr 28 22:25:22 UTC 2005

On Saturday 23 April 2005 09:21, Howard Cokl wrote:
> --- Robin Smith <1canuck2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am trying to fix my problems and as part of my
> > troubleshooting and
> > switching to installing the nvidia drivers from
> > their source as
> > opposed to using the apt packages.
> >
> > Should I need anything other than the NVIDIA run
> > file? (libs, etc). X
> > is still not loading - now I get FATAL: Module
> > nvidia_1_0_7174 not
> > found, even though the nvidia installer reports a
> > successful install.
>
> I think the module name is wrong in your xorg.conf
> file .  So just vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change
> nvidia_1_0_7174 to nvidia.

I believe this error is actually in regards to the kernel module, not the X
driver. One of the alias lines inserted into /etc/modprobe.conf by the ATrpms
packages is probably causing this... If you have this line in there:

alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-7174

...try commenting it out. And if you have this:

alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-7174

...drop the -1_0-7174 part.

For ease of switching from one nvidia driver version to another, the actual
kernel module as installed by the ATrpms packages is nvidia_1_0_7174 instead
of just nvidia.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com