[mythtv-users] Recommendations for New Sound Card

Lachlan McIntosh lachlan at directions.com.au
Wed Apr 27 08:25:38 UTC 2005

Hi Everyone

I'm finally sick of the ATI ITX150 onboard sound on my Jetway mainboard.

The mainboard purportedly had everything I needed for a Myth box. TV
out, S/Pdif in/out etc, none of which work correctly. My recommendation
to anyone thinking of getting a mainboard with integrated components is
DON'T - unless you have LOTS (and lots) of free time.

So I'm now looking for a PCI soundcard with S/Pid optical outputs.  I do
have a SB Live! Card that I have been using, this has a digital output
on the back of the card (but it isn't optical).

So can anyone recommend a card that:

1. Has S/pdif that will work out of the box with ALSA and Kernel 2.6.9.
2. Has S/pdif on the back of the card (so there is no need for extra
connectors etc - I just want the CARD in there)
3. WORKS!!! OUT OF THE BOX!!!! (No late nights, no recompiles, no
getting the latest source from CVS, no guessing as to what I have to put
in a config file to make the sound come out)  :)

Any (tested?) recommendations eagerly anticipated. :)

Thanks

Lachlan McIntosh