[mythtv-users] Can't watch LiveTV until program recorded

Magnus Sandin magnus at sandin.cx
Wed Apr 27 05:48:07 UTC 2005

Colin Smillie wrote:

>On 4/24/05, Kent Ypma <kentypma at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Hello!
>>>
>>>I have this problem that LiveTV just won't work. It plays for one second
>>>and then after 10-20 seconds the main menu in mythfrontend will appear
>>>again.
>>>
>>>The strange thing is that if I record a program for 1 minute (as an
>>>example) and then try LiveTV again, everything just works as expected...
>>>
>>>I have a PVR-350 and are running Linux kernel 2.6.10 that comes with
>>>Ubuntu 5.04.
>>>I have tried both ivtv 0.3.2u and 0.3.3f with the same result.
>>>

>I'm using FC3 with ATrpms 2.6.9-1.724 kernel and ivtv 0.3.2q without
>any problems. In fact watching a delay Amazing race right now.  Let me
>know if you want me to debug test anything specific.

Well, I used to run FC1 and it worked perfectly. However in Ubuntu, it
does not. I have to record a program before I can watch Live TV. This is
not the end of the world, but it is kind of irritating. I'm curious what
the differences are when recording a program vs. watching Live TV.

If I have recorded a program without turning off the computer or
rebooting, I can watch Live TV perfectly until I reboot the system. Then
I have to record a program to be able to watch Live TV again.

Something must be different in how the mythbackend initialize the ivtv
driver??

I don't think that it is an easy task to figure this out when you can't
reproduce the problem? However if you could help me find where in the
code the ivtv driver is initialized, maybe I can find out what is going
on...?

Any ideas where to go from here?

Regards
// Magnus Sandin