[mythtv-users] First frontend only machine

Paul Bender pbender at qualcomm.com
Tue Apr 26 22:53:34 UTC 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    After setting up MythTV and recording overnight I'm ready to start
> looking more deeply into what I'll eventually be placing at multiple
> (4-5) locations in the house. I could use your inputs on what some of
> the most reasonable alternatives are:
>
> 2) Build some sort of small machine
>    - Prefer no fan
>    - Epia?
>    - I do not currently require DVD playback, etc., although it would
> be fun in the future.
>
>    Presumably there would be value in having a hardware mpeg decoder,
> or am I mistaken about this?

I have found the EPIA ME6000 boards to work well for standard definition
and DVD playback. For software, I run MiniMyth 0.18beta1
<http://linpvr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340>. This combination allows
for no disk drives or fans in the front end.

In addition, I am working on a version of MiniMyth that supports the
CN400, so that I can have HD playback using the fanless EPIA SP8000E.