[mythtv-users] New Mythtv Xbox site - www.mythtv-xbox.org

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Tue Apr 26 21:33:53 UTC 2005

> has a sourceforge site.  Those places arent enough to help users?

I guess time will tell...If there is a need, and the forums fulfill the
need, people will use them.  If not, they'll fade away.

> refinement?  How is that users helping users?  Its more confusing to
> have multiple sources of info, especially when the author of the script
> isnt involved.

The solutions will all likely stem from the author, no doubt.  At the same
time, rather than clogging up his dev thread with the constant plea of
"Why won't LiveTV work" and the response "Sheesh - read a bunch of pages
back in this 31 page thread - it clearly says you have to adjust your
buffers"

People get intimidated by that sort of community.  I mean, how far back
should you read before you decide that your issue with the current code
isn't likely to be covered in that thread?

The other thing to realize is that we're not trying to shut down/replace
other sources of information, just amalgamate xbox/mythtv information into
one place.  If that's not a useful service to you, I guess it's not the
site for you, and that's fair.  To say that it's therefore a bad idea
isn't right though.

> Really?  A need that cant be met by the sourceforge site AND 2 seperate
> python script forums, one for devs and one for support?

A good search function will go a long ways to meeting those needs, and
unless you're a sourceforge subscriber, you don't have access to a good
search function there.  The xboxmediacenter search just returns the
thread, not which page, which makes a 31 page support thread pretty
useless to lazy searchers.

The spirit of the mythtv-xbox forums is to be a supplement/aggregation of
knowledge on things xbox/mythtv related.

Frankly, fragmentation is human nature.  Why are there more than one TV
news channel?  Why is there more than one carbonated beverage?  Different
strokes for different folks.  If people don't find it useful it will
disappear.

A lot of open source software is written to "scratch an itch" - the
mythtv-xbox forums are there to scratch an itch too.  If enough people
have the same itch, it'll succeed.  If not, it'll join the countless
millions of webpages that nobody ever visits.

I realize your problem is only with the xbmcmythtv section, but the same
holds.  There were at least four people who specifically requested an
xbmcmythtv forum.  It's clear to me that at least for those four people,
the current resources aren't enough.  I'd wager that there are a lot more
"lurkers" out there that feel the same way.  If not, it'll die a natural
death.

There's a lot of Xbox/MythTV information and knowledge out there, but
finding it all can be a daunting task at best.  We're just trying to
simplify life for everyone.