[mythtv-users] PVR-250 - Approximately 2GB/Hr.?

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 20:53:03 UTC 2005

On 4/26/05, Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    I'm just learning about MythTV at this point. It's setup and
> > working nicely but using up disk space rather quickly. Is 2GB/Hr. more
> > or less typical for recording TV programs or are the optimizations I
> > need to study next to save space?

that's roughly what i get too (~2.1 - 2.3GB/hr).  i'm filling up my
300GB hard drive faster than i can watch the Modern Marvels episodes
i've been recording. :)

> PS Start looking at bigger hard drives... :)

or you can check out 'transcode', which will significantly shrink the
size of your files but will also reduce the quality some.  it's not
easy to find simple instructions on how to use it though.  i'm still
digging through the archives and transcode man pages...