[mythtv-users] Re: OT: Power off monitor on X login screen

kanetse at gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 17:07:04 UTC 2005

On 4/21/05, kanetse at gmail.com <kane.tse at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a bit of a tricky problem; and hard to search for.
>
> I have a slave backend running the standard Fedora Core 3 install.  It
> shares an LCD monitor with an XBox (D-Sub).  The backend is hooked up
> via DVI.  The LCD monitor is a BenQ monitor that auto-detects the
> signal and switches to the input to DVI or D-Sub depending on which
> one is sending a signal.
>
> Frequently, I will turn on the backend end/DVI just so that its
> recorder is available while I play XBox.  Thus, the screen is
> displaying the Fedora/X login screen.  After a few minute, the screen
> saver kicks in, but it only blanks the screen and doesn't turn the
> monitor off.
>
> Now, I manually switch back to the XBox (D-Sub) and play for a little
> bit.  But the when the XBox is reset (or switches video modes), it
> usually blanks the screen and then the LCD monitor reverts back to the
> DVI input.  Unforunately, almost all of the time I want the LCD to
> stay on the D-Sub/XBox.
>
> How do I get Fedora Core 3's X login screen to send no signal to the
> monitor?  It's gotta be one of the power saving features; but I tried
> setting the power manangement/screen saver properties for the 'root'
> Desktop account via the control center, but I don't think those are
> the settings that apply to the login screen.

I'm still trying to figure out this problem.  Thanks to Bryan Halter,
I've been able to determine that I need to use the xset command, but I
can't figure out where to put that line so that it takes effect on the
login screen.

I think it's .xinitrc in the user's home directory, but that's only
AFTER a user has logged in.  What about before a user has logged in
(i.e. while it's on the graphical "Fedora Core" login screen)?
rc.local is obviously too early in the process.

Help!
Thanks