[mythtv-users] Semi-OT: HD modeline question, and XVMC question

Nate Thompson nightstrm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 15:40:52 UTC 2005

I finally got around to ordering a VGA->Component adapter which arrived
yesterday afternoon. After some issues getting Windows to work properly, I
was able to generate a pretty good 960x540p modeline for my Philips
PW8402/37 30" WS television. While it seems to work pretty well, I have
noticed that there is about a 15 pixel overscan on both the top and bottom
of the screen. This doesn't impact video playback that much, but it does cut
off some of the menu/onscreen display writings. After going back and reading
Jarod's HDTV guide (which was a big help!), it looks like I should look into
creating another modeline that runs a different resolution within in the 540
timing that I created. Unfortunately, the guide doesn't go into exactly how
to accomplish this (atleast that I can find). Can someone give me a couple
pointers? My hardware and generated modeline are included below.

Also, has anyone tried to use XVMC with Xine? Does it work, and is there any
benefit? While I do not have a HD3000/Air2PC card at the moment, I do have a
couple HD .TS files that I'd like to try and playback. With standard
settings, I can play them back, but there are frequent drops in both audio
and video.

MythTV Specs:
AMD Athlon XP2500
Chaintech 7NIF2 (output via onboard GF4MX440)
512MB RAM
Running latest FC3/Nvidia/ALSA/MythTV from atrpms.net

Generated modeline:
"960x540" 40.982 960 992 1088 1216 540 541 544 560 +hsync +vsync

Thanks for any tips,

Nate Thompson