[mythtv-users] LIRC not auto-starting in FC2

Robin Smith 1canuck2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 04:27:33 UTC 2005

On 4/25/05, Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/25/05, Robin Smith <1canuck2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I upgraded my FC2-based mythbox to kernel 2.6.10-1.770 and along with
> > it came a bunch of newer version of stuff (and new problems...). The
> > last issue to resolve since fixing my nvidia and eth0 issues is lircd.
> >
> > When I reboot, the remote no longer works in MythTV.
> >
> > If I exit mythtv and do the following:
> > depmod -a
> > modprobe lirc_i2c
> > service lircd stop
> > service lircd start
> > mythfrontend
> >
> > The remote starts working. What has changed in the newer
> > kernel/drivers to stop lirc from auto-starting?
> >
> > I recall something like this in a thread before and can't find
> > anything FC2 related. There's some lirc/ivtv related patch for FC3 but
> > that does not apply to me. I am on the latest .18 apt releases of
> > myth.
> >
> > Help would be gratefully appreciated
>
> Robin,
>
> If you are using the remote control attached to a PVR card, it may be
> that you are trying to load and start LIRC before the ivtv drivers are
> loaded. I think I remember having the same problems (apart from having
> the create a symlink between the lirc device and the device myth
> wants) and solved it by doing most of the loading of the important
> drivers and services in my rc.local file. I use this order:
>
> modprobe ivtv drivers
> modprobe dvb drivers
> modprobe lirc_i2c driver
> start lirc daemon
> start mythbackend daemon
>
> Nick

I am using the PVR-250 IR.

Is this something that would have changed from 2.6.9 to 2.6.10?

My rc.local looks like this:

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -dpms s off

#Bunch of commented modprobe's mostly ivtv related

ivtvctl -u 0x3000
ivtvctl -p 4
ivtvctl -f width=720,height=480
ivtvctl -v input=3,output=1
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -dpms s off
export MYKERNEL=`uname -r`
/sbin/hdparm -c3 /dev/hda
/sbin/hdparm -c3 /dev/hdc

Therefore, there are no lirc or mythbackend entries in the current
rc.local. From where do I have to remove it if I am going to start it
here instead. Both are checked "on" via the services applet in FC2.

Isn't their order in modprobe significant?

My modprobe looks like this:
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
alias eth0 e100

alias net-pf-10 off

# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv

alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c

alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.6 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-7174
alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-7174

install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_i2c

Thanks

Robin