[mythtv-users] Optimizing MythTV for AMD64

Greg Depasse greg.depasse at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 17:59:57 UTC 2005

On 4/3/05, Kyle Rose <krose+mythtv at krose.org> wrote:

> I posted the following on my homepage this morning:
>
> I bought a dual Opteron 244 back in November of 2003 because I wanted a
> really, really fast desktop machine. Around the same time, I started playing
> with MythTV <http://www.mythtv.org/>, and it wasn't long after that I got
> a pcHDTV <http://www.pchdtv.com> HD-2000 card and began watching
> high-definition programming. Unfortunately, despite the Opteron's superior
> I/O bus design and incredibly speedy processing, it had more trouble
> decoding HDTV than did a much cheaper non-HT uniproc Pentium 4.
>
> It has taken quite some time for MythTV to get to the point where it can
> reasonably be used with this configuration. Recently, a version of ffmpeg
> that appears to be optimized for AMD64 <http://www.x86-64.org/> has been
> imported into the Myth CVS repository: to get this, make sure to uncheck the
> "uselibmpeg" option in Setup/TV Settings/Playback. However, this alone isn't
> sufficient.

<SNIP>

If you have success with this configuration, I'd love to hear about it. If
> you have problems and are able to determine what I've left out, let me know
> so I can add the appropriate config elements.
> Cheers,
> Kyle

I have this same MB/CPU combo, but I am using a 5200 graphics card and a
PVR-250. I don't have it working yet (the 250 is eluding me). Do you have
any words of wisdom or has anything changed in the past couple weeks since
you originally posted this? I was going to try .18, have you tried it yet?

Thanks,
Greg