[mythtv-users] aspect ratio troubles

Philip Nelson phatfil at optusnet.com.au
Mon Apr 25 05:34:52 UTC 2005

G'day all
When I watch live tv, with aspect ratio set to Off, it looks exactly the same
as if it's set to 16:9. I automatically transcode all my recordings.
When watching a recording that was recorded/transcoded with 0.15/.16, I always
have to switch to 16:9 when starting to watch a recording, as it starts off
looking the same as 4:3 (with aspect ratio set to Off). With 0.17/0.18
recordings however, they look fine - I don't have to change ar - having it
set to None is the same as 16:9.

Now here's my problem. I want to use nuvexport to export some of these nuvs as
I'm running out of disk space. Whatever I try to do however, the resulting
xvid has 4:3 ratio. nuvinfo tells me all my nuvs have aspect 1.333 (4:3).

So what's going on here? Is myth incorrectly recording the aspect ratio in the
nuvs? I would really like to be able to convert some of these nuvs to xvid as
I'm quickly running out of disk space.

I'm using dvb, original stream is mpeg2, I'm transcoding to mpeg4.

Cheers,
Philip