[mythtv-users] MythTV - PVR-250 - some newbie questions

emory emory.commerce at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 20:56:46 UTC 2005

Though you aren't using Fedora, check out http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/
for a lot of handy debugging tips (i.e. why you aren't getting any
video, how to change the channel without mythtv, etc).

Your .NUV files from a PVR-250 should be around 2 GB an hour.  The raw
video files you are recording via command line look too small to be
real video files, and the files you are recording with myth are too
big to be MPEG2 encoded.   Have you tried running "mythtvsetup" to set
up your PVR-250 as an input?

Finally, don't try to stress yourself by saying stuff like, "I have to
get this working by XXX so I can record it."  MythTV takes time, a lot
of time when you first start out. It took me three months to get all
the kinks out. Most of us do it for fun in our spare time, but if it's
stressing you out, then what's the point?

One useful thing that takes the pressure off is to have a dual-boot
configuration with a small windows partition.  It's not too hard to
set up (install windows first, then linux). That way, if there's
something you really want to record when MythTV is not functional yet,
and you've already thrown away your VCR, you can always use the lame
WinTV PC software.  And, as hard as this is for me to say as a diehard
Mac and Linux user, having a PC partition is occassionally pretty
useful.

Final word of unrelated advice: for your partitions, partimage+knoppix
is your friend. Especially if you're using Gentoo and you have to
compile everything everytime you start from scratch.