[mythtv-users] Suggestion: Splicing channels.

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Sat Apr 23 17:35:45 UTC 2005

Nicholas McCoy wrote:
> Well, the NFL draft is today and the folks on ESPN are yakking on.
> Now, the most important information on that channel is the bottom
> couple inches.  I'd like to watch something else on most of the TV.
> It would be nice if I could take the bottom couple inches off one
> channel and watch on another.  Of course, this feature would work for
> sports, stocks and news as well.  Does anyone else think this feature
> would be worth implementing.  Also any ideas of how to implement it.

Not to muddy the discussion, but what the hell...

In general, it'd be great to be able to combine or select from among
multiple inputs in some way more interesting than picture-in-picture.
For example, the way I watch baseball is generally to turn on the TV,
mute it, and then put on the radio broadcast, since the radio announcers
are typically much better than the TV announcers.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work out so well when one wants to
synchronize the sources, as the TV will always be 3-4 seconds behind the
 radio broadcast.

I can do something like this if I use MLB's Gameday Audio to listen,
because I can insert almost any delay I want into that; but it's kinda
ugly to have to do this when I could accomplish much the same thing with
input selection and a radio tuner module.

Anyway, I digress.  Being able to grab the crawl (or, really, any fixed
block) out of one recording and superimpose it over another recording
would be neat, but I don't know how many people would care.

Cheers,
Kyle