[mythtv-users] Kernel upgrade problems galore

Robin Smith 1canuck2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 18:38:39 UTC 2005

A long message for a long story...

I wanted to upgrade my nvidia drivers from 6129 to 7174 as I have read
about improvements in quality.

I was on FC2 kernel 2.6.9-1.11 but there were no nvidia 7174 drivers
available for that kernel (via Synaptic). After some help in another
post, I decided to use apt-get to install the drivers and it found and
offered me a kernel that synaptic didn't - 2.6.10-1.770. I had earlier
seen that all the other modules/drivers were available for this kernel
(alsa, ivtv, lirc, video4linux, etc) so I went ahead and let apt
install the newer nvidia stuff and newer kernel. It suggested all the
dependencies, and they looked right to me.

After, this was done, but before rebooting, I used Synaptic to install
the remaining 2.6.10-1.770 drivers I needed (alsa, ivtv, lirc,
video4linux). Then I rebooted.

Then it went hellish.

X no longer loads. I get the following error when it tries to start:
API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module is version 1.0.7174, but this
library is version 1.0.7167. Please be sure your kernel's module and
all NVIDIA driver files have the same driver version.

The error shows up right after the line "reading config from
/etc/X11/xorg.conf" (or something like that - I am not at the
mythbox). Which component of the drivers does this mean it thinks is
7167?

Anyway, I assumed that apt had messed up a a dependency somewhere so
started in that direction...

But annoyingly, the kernel upgrade also took out my ndiswrapper-based
wireless ethernet (wmp54g) and I don't seem to have the correct
version of ndiswrapper to make it work (I have 0.10 and 1.0 source,
but neither will work and both squawk about 4K stacks). So now I can't
get on the net.

My mobo has onboard ethernet which I had disabled, so I tried to
revert to that running a long wire across the room, but I can't get it
to come up. There was no ifcfg-eth0 file under
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, so I created a basic one. Through some
combination of ifup, ifconfig and waving of dead chickens, the eth0
device did come up once and I got on the net long enough to confirm
with apt that I had correctly installed all of the 7174 nvidia driver
stuff (driver, lib and module), so I don't know why it says something
is 7167. And I can't find any way to fix it.

Furthermore, when I rebooted after making some other changes, eth0 now
won't come up again even though the ifcfg file now exists. ifup eth0
generates no error, the device shows up as being detected at boot time
in /var/log/messages, modprobe is correctly aliasing it, yet ifconfig
eth0 says no device available.

And I can't find a way to rollback to my prevous stable system.

So, I am stuck with no Internet access and no X and no idea of how to fix it.

Any suggestions? Has anyone seen this problem with nvidia 7174 and FC2
2.6.10-1.770? I can't find much helpful on the web.

I seem to have painted myself into a corner and can't find a way out.
Yet nothing "untoward" happened during my apt/synaptic installs...
grrr

Help/ideas would be truly appreciated.

Thanks

Robin