[mythtv-users] Decent, Inexpensive Video Card? (Yes, I did search)

Galen galen at myhome.net
Fri Apr 22 03:02:54 UTC 2005

I'm looking for some suggestions for an inexpensive AGP video card
here. I'm building a stand-alone HDTV system, there are no other
planned uses (no games, etc), with an Athlon 64 3200, possibly an A64
3500 depending on cost when I purchase. Motherboard supports AGP 8x. In
theory, the graphics card doesn't need to be something too massive,
just a solid conduit to the screen, perhaps with XvMC to boost
performance a little. In particular, I would like to be able to run
full 1920 x 1080 via DVI, be able to use a DVI to VGA adapter if
desired (pretty standard), and boot directly to S-Video (for when I am
hooked to an analog TV). Is such a thing possible? Can you offer any
suggestions?

Yes, I did search, but I'm having a little difficulty putting
everything together; 1920x1080 DVI issues, S-Video booting, etc. Your
help would be appreciated.

As for my background, I'm a spoiled Mac user working on plans for an
HDTV MythTV box. :P I'm really comfortable with the unix-stuff on the
software-only side, but the hardware and driver stuff, especially under
Linux requires some adjustment on my part! I'm used to hardware working
or not with pretty straightforward drivers (and in most cases, none at
all - it just works), and the thought of recompiling my kernel for
hardware support is still slightly amusing to me. I'm sure it will
become serious enough soon enough, however! I have done some work on my
darwin kernel under OS X, manually patching it to change the power
management for my laptop, but that was super non-standard stuff. I've
also made some custom builds of VLC for OpenGL accelerated YUV
conversion, custom builds of DVD rippers for enhanced quality encoding,
etc. So I'm not a dummy, but I'm just not an x86/Linux hardware expert,
if that makes any sense to you people out there.

-Galen