[mythtv-users] Strange Crash: Mythmusic -> Play Music: No Useable audio output found

Ramzy Darwish ramzy.darwish at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 16:00:01 UTC 2005

Hello All.

I have been using (and loving) MythTV for a little over a year now and have
had very few problems. I am amazed by how much the developers are able to
get working on such a wide variety of hardware in such a short amount of
time.

But now, after upgrading to 0.17, I am getting a strange crash in MythMusic
whenever I try to play any file. I have checked all of the files I have
tried to play in both XMMS and MPlayer with no problems.

It doesn't matter what type of file (I have tried .ogg, .mp3, .flac and .wav
files).

I can select the music just fine and scanning for new files works fine, but
as soon as I select "Play Music", mythfrontend crashes.
I get a segfault and the only messages to the console are:

No useable audio output driver found.
Don't disable OSS support unless you're not running Linux.
Segmentation fault

Does anybody have any idea why this would happen?

Hardware:
Dual P3 1000Mhz on a VIA Apollo K233 mb.
Creative Audigy 1 sound card

Software:
Gentoo Linux 2004.3
MythTV 0.17 compiled from source (not gentoo ebuild)
Mythmusic compiled  with all plugins cleanly from source
Kernel: 2.6.10 configured manually then built with genkernel

All of the dependencies for mythmusic were gentoo ebuilds.

Other than this (and getting the remote to work), I am totally happy with
MythTV and recommend it to everyone.

TIA
ramzy